Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Requests and Questions

From the moment I started my blog, and then, my website, I have really enjoyed it. I never expected some of the joys and rewards that could come out of posting my thoughts, ideas, and vintage finds online.


Recently I received an email from a woman who is an artist. She wrote about how she found a picture of my toe shoes in a GOOGLE search.

She asked my permission to do a painting with my shoes as the subject.
At first I was surprised a photo of my ballet slippers appeared in a google search. I tried the same search and didn't see them. But hey, she found them and wants to use them as a subject of still life.

Since this seemed like a great idea to me I was thrilled she even asked.

Plus, this is the second time they've been used as a subject for a painting.

Here is the first painting of them:




It was painted by a former co-worker of mine. A great job and the colors are stunning.
I can't wait to see how a second painting might turn out.

I also receive questions about antiques and what they are worth. (Even after 11 years in the biz, I do not profess to be an expert but I will always take an honest look at an item, I just may know the answer.)
Many more questions come in asking about one of my favorite topics, LuRay Pastels dinnerware. I love seeing photos people email me of their items.

Just another fun aspect of blogging and another day in the life of an antiquey gal like myself.


2 comments:

gail said...

The slippers are wonderful!! I am not an artist, but I can see how one would be drawn to them as an artist. The worn toes say it all!!
I've been an antiquer for a long time and have bought and sold for many years. I always am uncomfortable when someone asks how much something is worth, because I'm not an expert. I always feel an object is only as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it!

Ms.Daisy said...

Jillian,
Loved seeing your toes shoes again. I have so many memories of you actually dancing in them and to see them in the painting is wonderful. I, too, would like to see another artist paint them.


Love,
Ms.DaisyMau