Friday, February 22, 2013

Ye Olde Lighthouse: Saving a Moment in Time

Last week we went to visit family.
 
Every year we take my Dad to
see something we've never
seen before, even though
I grew up close to the area.

So far we've seen an army
airport museum, a glass museum,
and this year we visited a lighthouse.
 
Always fun.
 

There is just something about the old history behind a lighthouse.
The reason for their being, the design, the look.

I had forgotten my nice camera and only had my iphone.
The photos turned out a little bit like paintings.



This lighthouse was originally built in 1849.
That was a long time ago.

It is along the Delaware Bay at the mouth of a river.

At the time there were 1500 men employed along the river.

Not so much anymore.

Technology changed things. Locomotives, automobiles.

But the lighthouse survived the storms of life and decay.
Saved by a local historical committee.

I'm glad they did.
(There is Bebe out in front)
 
Because as a lover of all things vintage this is a real gem!


And now I can add it to my list of lighthouses we've visited.

Tell me about your lighthouse adventures, if you have some to share.
I'd love to hear about it!

No comments: