Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Shining Past: A Shadow of Our Old Shelves

 I've been noticing a trend. Maybe I've got it all wrong.

 
But, the newer generations are not into buying stuff
like our parents and grandparents did.
 
Remember the good china? It was kept in a special place only to be used on holiday get-togethers?
 

 
The silverware that actually had some silver plate or were silver? And needed to be POLISHED?
 
 
Gasp! Yes, I said the nasty word.
 
Polished.
 
 
I know I'm from a different mold.
 
You know, born with an old soul.
 
I like getting out the good stuff.

 


Prepping, displaying, shining.

Obviously I do, right? I mean, I have an antique shop!

But seriously.


I've even seen designers encouraging
new, young, home owners
to turn their "dining room" space into a living area.
 
 
Doesn't anyone sit down
to dinner as a family anymore?


Do the younger generations realize that they aren't going to be handing down their old iPads and iPhones to their grandchildren? I mean, what will they inherit? This is where their money is going. A year later, the device is obsolete.

Something to ponder and also something to consider
as I keep selling vintage into the future. Times are a changin'. I've got to keep up with the times or my time as a dealer will be over.

Feel free to leave me a comment...I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Ivy and Elephants said...

I sooo agree with you. It warms my heart when I see young girls shopping for vintage dresses, or antique pieces to decorate their Paris Chic apartments! I hope that this generation starts to appreciate the value of time over money and old over new.
Hugs,
Patti

The Old Parsonage said...

Funny my girlfriend and I were just talking about dishes and the way that we love to make a fuss and use "the good dishes" on special occasions. Our "happy homemaker" wants to do the same thing, but I know others are not too into it.

Hope that all is well.

Leann